5.24.2010

Wolf Shirts? Classic.

For my final assignment in AP Literature, I was asked to write an observation. I don't know if I am going to use the following piece, but I like it. So enjoy!

I have written some fairly decent observations in the past year, but determining the topic for my final observation has been more than difficult. So what do I write about? I felt as though there is too much to write about; so much, that I can’t decide on a topic. I sat in stupor and rummaged around my mind for a topic, a random topic, anything! And then it hit me. Adventure shirts.

An adventure shirt is a large t-shirt with a picture of an animal, Indian, or breathtaking nature scene. These shirts may be worn at any time, but are normally worn on Wolf Shirt Wednesdays or while doing something adventurous such as skiing, hiking, or living. The “Wolf Shirt Revolution” as some call it, has grown significantly the past year; however, I was introduced a couple years ago. I don’t want to say I started it because I give the credit to my cousins, who own a considerable amount of these t-shirts and wear adventure shirts almost everyday.

The summer before my sophomore year of high school I spent a week in Lake Powell with my cousins. It was probably one of the best weeks of my life! After a week of swimming, water-skiing, tubing, and pure bliss, the trip came to a conclusion. I was sad to leave; however, I had no idea that my life would be complete after visiting a certain souvenir shop in Kanab.

My cousins and I wandered the little shop, searching for the perfect souvenir. According to the “always correct” Wikipedia, a souvenir is in fact “a memento or keepsake is an object a traveler brings home for the memories associated with it.” My souvenir had to be perfect. We walked towards the back of the shop and stopped immediately. A giant book of t-shirt pattern transfers and a rack of solid colored t-shirts caught our attention. I thought we had struck gold as my cousins and I flipped through the pages of this giant book in awe. There were pictures of wolves, Indians, horses, manatees, and about any animal you could think of. There was nothing I wanted more than to create my own t-shirt.

I still remember my first purchase from the shop. The three horses running across an open plain were complemented by a dazzling teal t-shirt. Since acquiring this shirt, I have been inspired to start a collection. The next summer, I made my way back to Lake Powell and the t-shirt shop. My second purchase was a wolf within a dream catcher on a brilliant orange t-shirt and to this day, I still cherish it.

I am now the proud owner of eleven adventure shirts. I have shirts that range from wolves, to Indian princesses, to a picturesque rainforest scene. I am pleased to admit that I have five wolf shirts in a variety of colors. In my opinion, the wolf is a must when purchasing an adventure shirt because you cannot go wrong with the classic wolf. Whenever I wear these shirts, I don’t feel like a nerd, I feel awesome. I do not plan on stopping at eleven shirts and hope to acquire several more adventure shirts, because they are truly magnificent and necessary for one’s wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment